Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Guest : (11 July 2018 - 07:13 PM) b 3-187
@  Guest : (21 November 2017 - 03:43 PM) COAD
@  Guest : (09 August 2016 - 10:38 PM) 145th Seabees
@  Guest : (20 May 2016 - 02:41 AM) laurich
@  webmaster : (09 August 2015 - 11:53 PM) webmaster just beat score of 0 in BB Jigsaw - 3D Back To The Future and now is the latest inductee into the Hall of Fame with score of 410 on 04:53 PM
@  webmaster : (09 August 2015 - 11:53 PM) webmaster just beat score of 0 in BB Jigsaw - 3D Back To The Future with a new score of 410 on 04:53 PM
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Back To The Future
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Mario
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D StarWars
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D DJ
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed 7 Wonders of the World
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Room With A View
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Wolverine
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - Alton Towers
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Ship
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Gamer
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Car
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:25 AM) New Game has been installed Jigsaw Puzzle 12
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:25 AM) New Game has been installed Jig Saw Puzzle GP58
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:25 AM) New Game has been installed Jigsaw Puzzle 03

Photo
- - - - -

ISAF Maj. Gen. Hook talks about reintegration

120 former Taliban fighters reintegrate Afghan society

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Forummgr

Staff

• US Military Wars & Conflicts
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

By British Maj. Gen. David Hook , Director of ISAF’s Force Reintegration Cell.
Posted ImageThis week I witnessed 120 former Taliban fighters formally reintegrate back into Afghan society during a ceremony at the Governor’s compound in Ghor province. As they ceremoniously handed over their weapons one-by-one I had the incredible opportunity of having one of them hand his AK-47 to me. It was certainly one of the most powerful moments I’ve experienced since being in Afghanistan. We shook hands and I placed a traditional Afghan chapan around him. As we exchanged looks I could see the sincerity in his face that he was genuinely done with fighting. This man, who only a few weeks ago would have tried to kill me if I was standing that close to him, was now at peace with himself, enough so that he could bring himself to not only hand his weapon over to me, but shake my hand and smile at me. Whatever had caused him to fight before was obviously no longer an issue.
Posted Image
The Afghanistan Peace and Reintegration Program is what makes this possible. It has the ability to change a person by addressing the grievances that originally led him to fight in the first place. The APRP works to solve these grievances, giving it the power to change a person from a fighter to a law abiding citizen of Afghanistan working towards peace in his country, a country that deserves a future of peace and an end to war. These events are what help me keep a human face on my work here with the International Security Assistance Force reintegration cell which can sometimes get lost in the simple number of re-integrees who have joined the program or all the administrative things that go into helping this program stay afloat. Over the next few weeks I will go into the specifics and highlight the continuing successes of this Afghan led program. I welcome your thoughts and hope I can generate a discussion about this program that I believe is helping to build a safe, stable and prosperous Afghanistan.

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of veterans' issues. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the included information for educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.corne...de/17/107.shtml If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 120 former, Taliban fighters, reintegrate, Afghan, society

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users