Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Guest : (11 July 2018 - 07:13 PM) b 3-187
@  Guest : (21 November 2017 - 03:43 PM) COAD
@  Guest : (09 August 2016 - 10:38 PM) 145th Seabees
@  Guest : (20 May 2016 - 02:41 AM) laurich
@  webmaster : (09 August 2015 - 11:53 PM) webmaster just beat score of 0 in BB Jigsaw - 3D Back To The Future and now is the latest inductee into the Hall of Fame with score of 410 on 04:53 PM
@  webmaster : (09 August 2015 - 11:53 PM) webmaster just beat score of 0 in BB Jigsaw - 3D Back To The Future with a new score of 410 on 04:53 PM
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Back To The Future
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Mario
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D StarWars
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D DJ
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed 7 Wonders of the World
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Room With A View
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Wolverine
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - Alton Towers
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Ship
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Gamer
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM) New Game has been installed BB Jigsaw - 3D Car
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:25 AM) New Game has been installed Jigsaw Puzzle 12
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:25 AM) New Game has been installed Jig Saw Puzzle GP58
@  webmaster : (03 April 2014 - 05:25 AM) New Game has been installed Jigsaw Puzzle 03

Photo
- - - - -

AmVets Questions Government’s Commitment to Care for its Troops

AmVets Questions Government’s Commitment Troops

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 webmaster

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:02 AM

Con­gress and DoD cut­ting into our country’s mus­cle, not trim­ming the fat

LANHAM, Md., Dec. 13, 2013 — Recent polit­i­cal uncer­tain­ties are greatly affect­ing our nation’s mil­i­tary and vet­er­ans. AMVETS is speak­ing out against recent deci­sions that are gravely impact­ing the ben­e­fits our uni­formed ser­vice mem­bers have fought for and earned through their hon­ored ser­vice to our country.

There is an unset­tling focus being aimed toward our mil­i­tary and vet­er­ans in an effort to “trim the fat” dur­ing bud­get cuts. Unfor­tu­nately, the gov­ern­ment is cut­ting into the mus­cle of our coun­try, not the fat. The recently House passed Bipar­ti­san Bud­get Act of 2013 seeks to penal­ize cur­rent and future mil­i­tary mem­bers who have served our nation for over 20 years by imple­ment­ing a 1 per­cent reduc­tion to uni­formed ser­vice retired pay Cost of Liv­ing Adjust­ment (COLA) for those under age 62, and the Depart­ment of Defense plans to pos­si­bly close the 178 state side com­mis­saries, decrease hous­ing allowances, and elim­i­nate our military’s pri­mary news source since the Civil War, the Stars and Stripes, which would tremen­dously affect the qual­ity of life for count­less ser­vice mem­bers and veterans.

“Once again our con­gress uses mil­i­tary retirees to find ways to cut the nation’s bud­get,” AMVETS National Exec­u­tive Direc­tor Stew­art Hickey said. “Maybe they could look in some areas where no one has con­tributed any­thing to this coun­try first. Vet­er­ans, mil­i­tary, and mil­i­tary retirees are fed up with being the bill payer every time con­gress wants to cut, go to the real fat at the pen­ta­gon, don’t cut the trig­ger pullers; cut the mas­sive staffs. We need more PFCs and fewer gen­er­als. How many receive gov­ern­ment hand­outs for doing noth­ing? If con­gress wanted to they could make real cuts in waste­ful pro­grams, but they always take the easy route and hit the mil­i­tary and mil­i­tary retirees.”

Less than 1 per­cent of our nation has chose to serve this coun­try. That choice is dif­fer­ent from any other career path and these men and women take on the full weight and respon­si­bil­ity to pro­tect the United States and ful­fill our national secu­rity require­ments. The ben­e­fits they have earned should not be so eas­ily cut. These deci­sions not only have dev­as­tat­ing long-term impacts on our mil­i­tary retirees and vet­er­ans but also will greatly dimin­ish uni­form ser­vice career reten­tion, which in turn adversely impacts national security.

AMVETS under­stands the impor­tance to rid the gov­ern­ment of waste­ful spend­ing and believes there is a need for each to do their part and sac­ri­fice for the over­all good of our eco­nomic future. How­ever, when there are pro­grams such as the Air Force’s new long-range bomber, which may cost as much as $81 bil­lion for the 100 planes planned, being put ahead of the earned ben­e­fits and qual­ity of life of those who have already paid an enor­mous price to be able to receive them, the deci­sions being made need to be questioned.

“Con­gress, the Pres­i­dent, and the DoD seem to have either for­got­ten the promises we so sacredly made to our heroic men and women who served in our mil­i­tary forces, or they are choos­ing to bla­tantly dis­re­gard those promises,” AMVETS National Com­man­der John Mitchell said. “Our vet­er­ans and mil­i­tary have given enough and sac­ri­ficed enough. These cuts need to stop and AMVETS will con­tinue to fight to pro­tect the earned ben­e­fits of America’s hon­ored warfighters.”

About AMVETS:

A leader since 1944 in pre­serv­ing the free­doms secured by America’s armed forces, AMVETS pro­vides sup­port for vet­er­ans and the active mil­i­tary in procur­ing their earned enti­tle­ments, as well as com­mu­nity ser­vice and leg­isla­tive reform that enhances the qual­ity of life for this nation’s cit­i­zens and vet­er­ans alike. AMVETS is one of the largest congressionally-chartered vet­er­ans’ ser­vice orga­ni­za­tions in the United States, and includes mem­bers from each branch of the mil­i­tary, includ­ing the National Guard and Reserves. To learn more visit www.AMVETS.org.

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of veterans' issues. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the included information for educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.corne...de/17/107.shtml If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. We obtain news and information from many sources. Here is a list of some of them:

Military Services and Reserve Components

Department of Homeland Security

Government References:

"Veterans/Armed Forces Network©Copyright 2001-2012" vafnet.com, vafnet.org, vafnet.net All rights reserved.

"Veterans/Armed Forces Network is a both a public service site and subscription based site and is not affiliated with the United States Armed Services.

80x15.png This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AmVets, Questions, Government’s, Commitment, Troops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users